Originally founded as a courier company in 1907 in the United States, UPS has grown into a multibillion dollar company with the main objective of facilitating trade globally. Today, UPS (United Parcel Service Inc.) is an international company whose brand is one of the best known and admired worldwide.
Logistics has always been about finding solutions that make the world work better.
But how did UPS become the world's largest package delivery company and a global leader in supply chain services?
It all started in 1907 with a pioneering 19-year-old, who saw a unique set of business needs and expanded on a vision that has become a multi-billion-dollar corporation. Since then, our business growth has taken us from bike-messenger services and retail store deliveries to global freight and web-based tracking to innovative financial and mail services. At the heart of it all, you'll find dedication to our people, our customers and the communities we serve. Click here to view our history.
Our Values. Our Purpose. Our Mission.
Empowering careers and commerce around the globe takes more than the concerted efforts of innovative thinkers, collaborative teammates and incredible technology. It calls on the values, purpose and mission that have driven us right from the start.
Our Values – Our Enduring Beliefs
- We believe that integrity and excellence are the core of all we do.
- We believe that attention to our customers' changing needs is central to the success of ups.
- We believe that people do their best when they feel pride in their contributions, when they are treated with dignity, and when their talents are encouraged to flourish in an environment that embraces diversity.
- We believe that innovation fortifies our organization through the discovery of new opportunities to serve our people and our customers.
- Integrity – It is the core of who we are and all we do.
- Teamwork – Determined people working together can accomplish anything.
- Service – Serving the needs of our customers and communities is central to our success.
- Quality and Efficiency – We remain constructively dissatisfied in our pursuit of excellence.
- Safety – The well-being of our people, business partners, and the public is of utmost importance.
- Sustainability – Long-term prosperity requires our continued commitment to environmental stewardship and social responsibility.
- Innovation – Creativity and change are essential to growth.
Our Purpose – Why We’re in Business
- We enable global commerce.
Our Mission – What We Seek to Achieve
- We fulfill our promise to our constituents throughout the world in the following ways:
- We serve the evolving distribution, logistics, and commerce needs of our customers worldwide, offering excellence and value in all we do.
- We sustain a financially strong company, with broad employee ownership, that provides a long-term competitive return to our shareowners.
- We strive to be a responsible and well-regarded employer by providing our people with an impartial, rewarding, and cooperative environment with the opportunity for advancement.
- We build on our legacy as a caring and responsible corporate citizen through the conduct of our people and company in the communities we serve.
- Grow our global business by serving the logistics needs of customers, offering excellence and value in all that we do.
- Maintain a financially strong company-with broad employee ownership-that provides a long-term competitive return to our shareowners.
- Inspire our people and business partners to do their best, offering opportunities for personal development and success.
- Lead by example as a responsible, caring, and sustainable company making a difference in the communities we serve.
UPS Enterprise Strategy
Create Value, Transform, and Invest to Grow
Create value for customers using our superior portfolio of logistics capabilities
- Demonstrate how the power of logistics can create a competitive advantage for our customers.
- Offer products and services that expand our customers' access to global markets.
- Configure our broad portfolio of solutions for targeted industries.
- Offer industry-leading technology that simplifies and improves our customers' business processes.
Continually transform to strengthen our leadership position
- Deliver an exceptional customer experience.
- Apply marketing and sales excellence to drive profitable growth.Apply marketing and sales excellence to drive profitable growth.
- Enhance performance through quality, efficiency, and technology.
Invest to accelerate growth in key markets and new opportunities
- Accelerate growth by leveraging our global network and scale.
- Build our infrastructure and presence in key emerging markets.
- Expand our offerings of integrated logistics solutions.
So, what does it take to track up to 50 million packages in a single day?
A fine-tuned team of innovative technology employees for starters. And, of course, the most innovative infrastructure for package handling, delivery and supply chain solutions the world has ever known.
From retrofitting our aircraft with advanced technology and fuel-efficient engines that reduce noise to developing a powerful computer network that efficiently dispatches our vehicles, we make the world work better by starting right here with our own operations. Efficiency and sustainability are at the center of everything we do.
Our commitment to technology means having the right tools for every assignment, like using a hand-held Delivery Information Acquisition Device (DIAD) as a single point of digital tracking for every package a UPSer delivers. With over 97,000 DIADs collecting and distributing package delivery data in the field, the efficiencies really add up for our employees, our customers and our bottom line. In fact, UPS spends more than $1 billion a year on information technology, so we can provide customers with unparalleled tracking and distribution intelligence. From smart phone apps and a website that handles an average of 26.2 million tracking requests a day to Worldship, our innovative support and resource center that caters to over 598,000 customers, we're built to go the extra mile.
Another example of our commitment to innovation is UPS Worldport in Louisville, Kentucky. With the capacity to sort 416,000 packages per hour and 1.5 million daily, it shows how far the innovative thinking of a brilliant team can go. But it doesn't stop there. Our line of products and services used by our customers continue to redefine the way the world does business. That's logistics. That's UPS.